What are the methods for maintaining a pearl necklace?
Pearl is the only living jewelry in the world, and for most precious jewelry, it is recommended that the owner take careful care of it. The main components of pearls are calcium carbonate, keratin, and trace elements, with low hardness, unstable properties, and certain moisture content. Beautiful and noble pearls, like baby like smooth skin, require your careful care in order to last forever. Therefore, maintaining and caring for pearls is a part of their product usage culture. So, will the maintenance of pearl necklaces be as difficult as most people imagine? Not otherwise, people who know how to maintain pearls often wear them for many years and still maintain them well. Those who do not pay attention to maintenance will only show signs of fading luster after wearing it for a short time, which is often not a quality issue.
According to a survey of regular customers, about 55% of them have a habit of taking care of pearls; About 9% of customers reported going for maintenance, but they are not very familiar with the maintenance methods; About 27% of customers say they know they need maintenance, but they haven't persisted much; About 17% of customers also stated that they do not have the habit of maintenance. Consumers have expressed their desire to further understand some knowledge and maintenance tips about pearls. From this perspective, most people still have a limited understanding of the maintenance methods for pearl necklaces and do not have a deep understanding.
The maintenance methods for pearl necklaces
Let me teach you some of the most professional and detailed maintenance methods.
Persist in them, and you can make our pearl treasures maintain their brilliance for a long time!
1. The attitude towards pearls should be correct: if you see them as inanimate things, just items that satisfy personal vanity, then perhaps you are not worthy of being a woman wearing pearl jewelry. Only by seeing her as a symbol of life, full of vitality, as your friend, and elevating your temperament to a higher level, bringing you elegance and nobility, can you understand how to cherish pearls and have a caring attitude towards her.
2. Acid and alkali resistant oil: In order to maintain the bright color of pearls, it is necessary to avoid exposing pearls to acid and alkali chemicals, such as acid and alkali soap, bath gel, perfume, qualitative spray, vinegar, lemon juice or other chemical solutions. Before cooking, the pearls should be taken off. There are micro pores on the surface of the pearls, which can adsorb oil and fumes and cause yellowing.
Reason: The composition of pearls is calcium carbonate, which contains organic matter. Each pearl contains over 90% calcium carbonate and about 4% water, and its chemical stability is not very strong.
3. Waterproof washing: Pearl necklaces should not be washed directly with water or soaked for a long time. When taking a shower, soaking in hot springs, or swimming, it is important to remember to take off the beautiful pearls first!
Reason: Washing the pearl necklace directly with water can easily cause the moisture in the main line of the pearl hole to be difficult to evaporate, which may cause the pearl line to show signs of mold or become fragile and easy to loosen in the long term.
4. Wiping with a velvet cloth: When not wearing it, before putting it into the pearl box, do not forget to wipe off any residual dust, sweat, or grease on the surface of the pearl with a velvet cloth. If it is dirty or dry, you can use a lint cloth dipped in a little distilled water (purified water) to wipe the surface, air dry it, and store it.
Reason: Generally, legitimate merchants will provide professional pearl wiping cloths with a delicate and soft surface that will not harm the pearls and have strong adsorption power. Therefore, do not use face paper or other rough fabrics, as the friction of some face papers can wear the pearls away. It is recommended not to use tap water or mineral water for wiping, as tap water contains chlorine and long-term contact with pearls can also have a certain impact on luster.
5. Maintain moisture: Pearl necklaces should be placed in a cool place, avoiding direct sunlight or placed in a too dry place to avoid dehydration. In dry weather, a glass of pure water should be placed next to the pearl to absorb the moisture. Housewives who frequently cook should take off their clothes before entering the kitchen to avoid getting close to a fire or heat source. You should also take it out and wear it every once in a while.
Reason: Pearl contains about 4% water, and it relies on a certain amount of water to make it shine and shine, just like your skin. In dry and hot weather, it needs to be hydrated. Long term sealed environments, or hot and dry areas, make it easy for pearls to lose moisture, lose luster, or discolor.
6. Storage separately: Pearls are suitable for separate storage in suede jewelry boxes, and can also be stored in suede carrying bags when traveling. Avoid collisions with hard objects. If you plan to wear pearl chains on your clothes, the texture of the clothes should be soft and smooth, and you should avoid wearing fabrics that are too hard, such as those made of snow blue wool, which can also scratch the surface of pearls.
Reason: Along with other metal or gemstone jewelry, it can easily cause mutual friction, scratches, or adsorption of the color of other metals.
7. Avoid pulling:Pearl necklaces should not be pulled when taken off or worn. Just grab the pearl chain buckle with your fingers. The button can only be easily removed by following the correct removal method, and brute force should be avoided. Normally stored flat, do not hang vertically or play with it. Regularly check the tightness of the bead threads and buttons. If any signs of looseness are found, it is recommended to contact the merchant in advance to arrange for re threading.
Reason: Professional pearl necklaces have artificial knots between each pearl, which not only prevent friction between the pearls, but also reduce the force on the pearl threads, making the overall structure more sturdy and not easy to loosen. Even if the pearls fall off, they will not scatter on the ground. If the bead is subjected to long-term tension or scraped onto sharp objects, it will reduce the firmness of the bead. Most of the jewelry cleaning agents sold on the market contain Amonia, and do not use bleach, soap powder, detergent, soda water, or cleaning agents containing frosting ingredients to clean pearl jewelry. These substances can corrode the surface of pearls, causing discoloration and peeling of the pearl layer. High temperature steam cleaning of jewelry can cause pearls to discolor.
Other misconceptions about maintaining pearls:
There may also be many strange maintenance methods available online. The editor suggests that consumers should not believe everything or mistakenly believe it as true without practical experience.
Washing with toothpaste: There are various types of toothpaste on the market with different ingredients. Toothpaste contains fine, high hardness abrasive particles that can wear the surface of pearls, after all, pearls are not teeth!
Washing with water bubbles: Although pearls require a certain amount of water and humidity, as mentioned earlier, it is not advisable to rinse pearl necklaces with tap water or add acidic or alkaline cleaning agents. Prolonged soaking can easily cause mold on the pearl threads and tarnish the pearl. When it is indeed dry, place a glass of water next to it or dip it in a little distilled water to wipe the surface.
Long term storage in a safe: A sealed environment for a long time is actually not good for pearls. Due to the low relative humidity, storage conditions are not suitable for pearls. If it is necessary to store pearls, it is better to place a glass of pure water next to them. It is best to take out and wear a pearl necklace every month.
Immersion with dilute hydrochloric acid: Under the guidance of non professionals, do not operate recklessly. Poor control of the acidic ratio and soaking time often results in damage to the surface of the pearl. Even if it turns white, it will lose its original luster, which is not worth the loss.
Therefore, the way to maintain pearl necklaces and jewelry should be "prepared for the rainy day", rather than using the method of "repairing the lost sheep". In fact, it is not difficult to achieve the above points. Just adhere to the mentality of cherishing pearls and paying attention to maintenance, can make the surface of pearls more durable, bright, and bright, and retain their spiritual energy!